86 Hickory Springs Industrial Drive Canton, GA 30115

  • Available 24 hours a day , 7 days a week. Call us now!.
  • 5 Facts About Getting Help with Mold Clean Up

    help with mold clean up Is it getting hard to tell the difference between the truth and the myths when it comes to getting help with mold clean up?

    Mold is nasty stuff which is why mold clean up is so important, although there is conflicting information out there about it. Curious about the real deal when it comes to mold damage? Read on for 5 facts about mold and the clean up process you need to know.

    Fact #1: Mold is a Fungus

    Mold isn’t a bacteria or a plant, it is a fungus. It’s a type of microorganism that’s primary purpose is to help organic materials decompose. Although mold spores individually are too small to see with the naked eye, entire colonies can be seen as blue or black areas on surfaces.

    Fact #2: Mold Needs Moisture

    Mold isn’t going to grow in a dry, dusty garage in a dry climate. It will grow where there is dust and moisture and warmth. When there is a water leak or flood or an area that has condensation or high levels of humidity in the air, it’s almost guaranteed that you will find mold. It gets its nutrients from dust and other organic material, and though it can’t get nutrients or live on inorganic material, such as plastic and concrete, it can live and thrive on the dust on those materials.

    Fact #3: Mold is Dangerous

    Mold can be a health hazard, though most people don’t feel the affect of a small amount of mold that they were exposed to for a short amount of time. If there is a lot of mold and there is constant exposure, that’s when it becomes dangerous.

    It can create allergic reactions that include stuffy nose, inflamed sinuses, itchy eyes, skin rashes, sore throat, and a cough. More serious reactions can include asthma symptoms, respiratory distress, and even neurological damage.

    Those most susceptible to mold are those with mold allergies, small children and infants, the elderly, and individuals with a compromised immune system. To these people it can be toxic.

    Fact #4: Mold Clean Up Shouldn’t be a DIY Project

    Mold isn’t easy to clean up. You can’t just take a swipe at it with a paper towel and some bleach and expect it to go away. With this approach you would be disrupting the spores which then become airborne and can spread to other areas. Additionally, when they become airborne is when they’re inhaled and can affect your health. It takes special training, equipment, and expertise to properly clean up mold.

    Fact #5: Mold Requires a Specific Cleaning Process

    There are some very specific steps required to ensure proper and effective mold removal. Here are a few:

    1. Wear protective gear to prevent contact and contamination including boots, pants, long sleeves, dust mask, protective eyewear, and gloves
    2. Mold testing to determine areas with the highest concentration
    3. Cordon off the area that’s affected by mold to protect adjoining rooms and other areas of the home from any spores that might separate from the colony and infect other spaces
    4. Mold removal using the proper chemicals and tools including tear our and containment of building materials
    5. Disposal of tools, plastic sheeting, and materials affected by the mold including flooring, drywall and carpeting, if necessary
    6. Application of mildewcide to prevent further growth

    Mold is something that occurs in nature and has a specific job, but it has no place in our homes. In order to keep yourself, your family, and your home safe and healthy, be sure to have a professional in if you have any suspicion you have mold in your house.

    Contact Can-Restore for help with mold clean up by clicking here.